Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Power of 1%, or Why My Blog is a Miserable Failure

I had breakfast this morning with my dear friend Mitch Joel Cohen, who I am proud to say, has recently made a big impact on the marketing world. We were talking about his mega-successful blog, and contrasting it with my…um…mega-unsuccessful blog. (Aside from a loyal following of 8 members of my congregation and 4 members of my family, my blog boasts a readership of 12 senior citizens in Miami.)

He noted a few issues about my blog, like very little linking, virtually no blogroll, and the fact that I blog rather infrequently, perhaps 2 or 3 times a month. If I only changed a few of these small things, (and I hope to change them soon), my blog might leap up a level or two to genuine mediocrity, and with some luck, may even become an average blog!

What I really learned from Mitch is a lesson about life. Most of us will make substantial efforts to succeed. However, when we near the finish line, we seem content with a pretty good effort, and begin to slow down. (As a football fan, I marvel at how many times players slow down near the goal line after a long run, as if a good effort is all that counts. Then they are tackled five yards short of a touchdown). It’s the last 1% of effort that makes all the difference.

The power of 1% is true in every phase of life: work, family, personal growth. The extra little effort can certainly improve a webblog. More importantly, the extra 1% can transform your life.

The power of 1%. Good for blogs. Even better for people!!

6 comments:

Mitch Joel said...

If you continue with these types of sparks and this kind of enthusiasm, you'll have the whole state of Florida reading ;)

Said Kassem Hamideh said...

Kudos, from the State of New York!

Iris W. said...

Chaim, please keep writing past the goalpost! I'll be the first one to buy your Blog Book once published ;-)!

Harry J. said...

Rabbi,the 1% effort that some people make is almost equal to the 100% effort that others make. Your words generally go way past that goal post make a U-turn and come back for another point.

Anonymous said...

This is fine. So were the others.

Uri Cohen said...

I can't believe you didn't count readers in Israel! ;)